DJI and SkyPixel, the world’s most popular aerial photography community, announced the annual Aerial Photo & Video Contest celebrating SkyPixel’s fifth anniversary. Running from Dec. 3, 2019 to Feb. 3, 2020, this year’s contest introduces a special “Aerial Story” category to celebrate its fifth year and welcomes submissions from professional photographers, videographers, aerial enthusiasts and content creators. This year’s contest is sponsored by the partner Nikon and Western Digital Corp. The judges are Jamie Hancock, Jarred Seng, Chris McLennan and Thomas Chu.
The SkyPixel Aerial Photo & Video Contest consists of nine storytelling categories in two formats, one in photography and the other in video. There is no restriction on the type or brand of aerial equipment, and participants can submit as many photos or videos as they wish.
“In the past five years, SkyPixel has seen millions of aerial photographers and content creators sharing their unique stories of the world, and also witnessed how drones unleash creativity and introduce fresh perspectives,” said Basile David, co-head, marketing at DJI. “Through this year’s contest, we hope to encourage more aerial enthusiasts to take their creativity and inspirations to new heights.”
SkyPixel and DJI will give away more than 56 awards worth a total of approximately $117,000 USD, including products like the DJI Inspire 2, Nikon Z 6 camera, DJI Mavic 2, Mavic Mini, Ronin-SC and others. In addition, all the winners will be featured as SkyPixel recommended photographers and have the opportunity to become a DJI Creator. SkyPixel will also organize a series of exhibitions at different DJI flagship stores from the spring of 2020 to showcase the winning pieces.
SkyPixel users will be rewarded with reputation points for every submission and the new contestants who have not attended any SkyPixel contests before will be granted the New User Reward and receive a 20% off DJI accessory coupon when submitting their first entry.
The video contest consists of four categories:
- Nature: Capture footage of natural scenery, wildlife and landscapes
- City: Showcase the beauty of urban landscapes and man-made architecture
- Sport: Capture moments in movement and the power and energy of humans doing sports
- Travel: Share a story about humanity, culture, or your unforgettable adventure (people should be included in these videos)
*Video submissions should not be longer than five minutes and must feature at least 30 seconds of aerial footage.
The photo contest consists of four categories:
- Portrait: Encapsulate a person’s expression, action or life’s passion in the vast beauty of their surroundings
- Nature: Capture a moment in time and reveal the true beauty of nature
- Architecture: Discover amazing structures from a new perspective
- Sport: Capture the energy and excitement of an athlete pursuing their dreams
There is a special category introduced to celebrate the 5th anniversary of the contest:
- Aerial Story: Share your most memorable aerial journey with the drone