New apps and updates
- Google Photos product lead confirms manual face tags, timestamp edits on Android, and other features in the works, via Android Police
- Panasonic announces firmware updates for LUMIX mirrorless cameras
- HoudahGeo 5.3: Photo geotagging solution adds Apple HEIC support, via press release
Rumours and reports from around the Internet:
- Fujifilm to launch new software for wedding albums in Japan, via Nippon.com
- Post-Jet.com acquisition, Walmart is on track to lose $1 billion on e-commerce this year, via Recode.
- Legends Event Photos streamlines on-field action photography operations and boosts profit with the new Capturelife Events app and GFcrew, via Capturelife blog
- Boots to close 200 stores, via BBC
- Jony Ive quitting Apple to start his own design firm, via Fortune
- List of Nikon DSLRs to be discontinued in favor of mirrorless lines, via Nikon Rumours
- Nikon’s D1 changed photography 20 years ago, via Fstoppers
- PPF assets grow to £32bn but surplus hit by Kodak Alaris claim, via IP&E
- Tamron can’t keep up with customers’ demand for their newest lens. Again, via DIYPhotography
Tech developments to watch
People on the Move
- David Wascha joins Zoopla in August as chief product and technology officer. He joins from The Photobox Group where he was responsible for transforming brands including Moonpig and Photobox.com, via Property Industry Eye.
- Popsa, the UK photobook start-up, appointed Dr. Chanuki Illushka Seresinhe as its lead data scientist, via RetailTimes
- Peter Read Miller, a veteran Sports Illustrated photographer for more than 35 years with more than 100 covers, is now a GFcrew Ambassador..