RICOH THETA unveils new 360-degree camera model: THETA X
Ricoh debuted a new 360-degree camera, the RICOH THETA X, featuring a 2.25-inch full-color touch screen display, an interchangeable battery, improved Bluetooth connectivity, and an external memory card. RICOH THETA X also has real-time stitching capabilities with stabilization, removing the need to stitch videos.
“Since RICOH THETA released the world’s-first 360-degree camera in 2013, it has been utilized in a wide range of fields to expand the possibilities of photographic and video expression. The pandemic caused an even greater need for immersive imagery and virtual tours to boost business efficiency, especially in the real estate, construction, design, and automotive industries—and we only expect that to expand into additional industries,” said Shinobu Fujiki, General Manager of RICOH Company’s THETA Business division. “As we strive to meet the needs of our customers through the innovation of our digital devices and services, this camera is designed to help streamline workflows and deliver high-quality imagery for business users and consumers alike.”
The RICOH THETA X has a compact, lightweight body in a sleek metallic grey finish that can be easily carried around anywhere and offers high-resolution image quality equivalent to a maximum of approximately 60 megapixels (output pixel).
Additional specs for the RICOH THETA X include:
- High-resolution 360-degree still image and video capture. The CMOS image sensor, main processor, and lens design have all been renewed. Incorporating a new sensor with approximately 48MP, it is now possible to capture high-resolution 360-degree still images with a maximum output of approximately 60MP. Two image sizes are available to match the scene: 11K for a high-resolution bright-light indoor photography, and 5.5K to capture images easily and efficiently in other scenarios. In addition, enhanced image stabilization realizes vivid and smooth shooting for 360-degree videos to be captured at a 5.7K-equivalent resolution of 5760 × 2880 pixels at 30 frames per second (fps).
- Ability to switch battery and memory cards. The RICOH THETA X is powered by an interchangeable battery and the memory storage capacity can be increased with the use of an external memory card (microSDXC). Even when shooting long hours or capturing many images, users can continue shooting without worrying about battery life or storage capacity. The Rechargeable Battery DB-110 is sold separately as a spare battery.
- Increased compatibility with smartphone. Wirelessly connect to a smartphone without entering an SSID when establishing a Bluetooth connection. And transfer still images and videos to a smartphone approximately 1.5 times faster than conventional cameras with incorporated MIMO (Multiple Input Multiple Output technology that communicates using multiple antennas) and real-time processing such as top/bottom correction while shooting videos.
- Linking with image-sharing services. The RICOH THETA X links with RIOCH’s image sharing services improve user’s workflows. It is also compatible with RICOH360 Tours, a panorama tour production service provided by RICOH for the real estate industry, to provide a dedicated RICOH THETA X plug-in that streamlines on-site photography.
- With built-in GPS and support for A-GPS function, accurate positional information can be obtained from the device.
- The camera employs magnesium alloy for the body exterior, ensuring robustness and excellent heat-dissipating properties.
- Through the USB Type-C port on the side of the main body, power can be supplied to the camera even during tripod use without using the optional extension adapter.