FUJIFILM North America Corp. announced the launch of its next flagship X Series mirrorless digital camera, FUJIFILM X-H2S (X-H2S). It is also the first APS-C digital camera of its kind to feature Fujifilm’s 26.16MP X-TransTM CMOS 5 HS imaging sensor, a stacked, back-side illuminated imaging sensor with a signal reading speed up to four times faster than Fujifilm’s previous X-TransTM CMOS 41. FUJIFILM X-H2S mirrorless digital camera is expected to be available in early July 2022 at an MSRP of $2,499.95 USD and $3,200 CAD.
X-Trans CMOS 5, combined with the newly minted X-Processor 5 (which doubles the camera’s processing power compared to X-Processor 4), greatly enhances overall image fidelity at lower ISOs and reduces noise at higher ISOs. Subject-detection AF, which maximizes the tracking speed and accuracy of moving subjects, is now made possible through the incorporation of an AI processor.
For video, X-Processor 5 enables the recording of 10-bit 4:2:2 video in resolutions up to 6.2K/30P and frame rates as fast as 4K/120P and FHD/240p. Support for professional codecs, like Apple ProRes HQ/ Pro Res 422/ Pro Res LT, provide incredible flexibility within post-production workflows, while also minimizing power consumption, thereby extending the camera’s maximum video recording time up to 240 minutes.
“The universal reaction to X-H2S has been, ‘This is exactly what I’ve been waiting for!’ The overwhelmingly enthusiastic response reinforces my belief that X-H2S will be the versatile, hybrid digital camera that can meet the diverse needs of photographers and motion production professionals,” said Victor Ha, vice president, Electronic Imaging and Optical Devices Divisions, FUJIFILM North America Corporation. “It’s fun to see so much enthusiasm for this camera, especially since the features it has aren’t normally found at a price point of only $2,499.95.”
With these sensor and processor updates, X-H2S achieves substantial performance improvement over other digital camera models on the market, including:
- X-H2S can apply AF / AE tracking in blackout-free continuous shooting conditions of up to 40 frames per second2, and can create over 1,000 frames continuously with the high-speed burst shooting mode set to 30 frames per second (JPEG) or 20 frames per second (RAW)3
- X-H2S’s high number of AF calculations performed per second improves overall AF accuracy and facilitates subject-detection AF. Developed with Deep Learning technology, subject-detection AF implements an advanced prediction algorithm to enhance the performance of Zone AF, by refining the camera’s ability to track moving subjects in low-contrast environments. Subject detection and tracking has also been expanded from the human face and eyes to now include animals, birds, cars, motorcycles, bicycles, airplanes and trains. X-H2S keeps targeted subjects consistently in focus, allowing users to concentrate on framing and critical image-making opportunities.
- X-H2S digital camera supports internal recording of 4:2:2, 10-bit Apple ProRes HQ/ ProRes 422/ ProRes LT and ProRes 422 Proxy at resolutions of up to 6.2K/30P and 4:2:2, 10-bit h.265 video in frame rates as fast as 4K/120P and FHD/ 240p. The sensor’s readout speed of 1/180 seconds when recording video further assists in minimizing rolling shutter effects on moving subjects, or when the camera itself is moving. A heat-dissipating design brings the 4K/60P continuous video recording time to approximately 240 minutes, while the optional FAN-001 cooling fan accessory assists with maintaining similar levels of performance in high-temperature conditions.
- X-H2S is the first X Series digital camera to contain F-Log2, which provides a dynamic range of up to 14+ stops, allowing for more creative possibilities both in production and post-production workflows.
- The camera features dual memory card slots supporting one CFexpressTM Type B and one SD card5. Users can draw out the full potential of X-H2S’s fast, continuous image-making and video performance with the high-speed data processing performance of CFexpressTM Type B memory cards.
Vertical battery grip (VG-XH)
- Dust- and moisture–resistant and is designed to operate at temperatures as low as 14 degrees Fahrenheit (-10 degrees Celsius). It fits two FUJIFILM NP-W235 high-capacity batteries.
- The grip’s button layout is designed to provide equal operability whether holding the camera vertically or horizontally.
File transmitter (FT-XH)
- Features wired LAN connectivity and high-speed wireless communications capability, essential for in-studio tethered content creation or for creating sports/media content. It can also be used as a vertical grip using two FUJIFILM NP-W325 high-capacity batteries.
- It can be combined with X-H2S to support the following communication specifications:
- FTP transfer by wired LAN / wireless LAN / USB Smartphone tethering
- Tethered shooting by wired LAN / wireless LAN
- Remote recording function by wired LAN / wireless LAN; capable of controlling up to four X-H2S cameras from a browser at the same time
Cooling fan (FAN-001)
- Specifically designed for the X-H2S to facilitate extended image creation and video recording in high temperatures.
- The fan can be fitted to the rear of the camera body without a cable, supplying power, extending continuous video recording time at high temperature, and eliminating concerns of heat-related camera shutdown.
Two new lenses
FUJIFILM North America also announced the FUJINON XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR lens (XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR), specifically designed for photographers, filmmakers, and image-makers creating both stills and video.
“This lens marks the first collaboration between FUJINON Optics and FUJIFILM X Series engineers, creating a truly hybrid solution for motion production professionals and enthusiasts alike,” said Ha. “Incorporating our inherent broadcast technology has allowed us to create a lens with both cinema and broadcast-style features that delivers smooth zoom, focus, and iris functionality.”
XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR covers focal lengths ranging from the wide-angle 18mm to telephoto 120mm (equivalent to 27mm – 183mm in the 35mm film format). The highly versatile 6.7x power zoom, with its compact design, facilitates a variety of shooting situations including landscape (wide angle) and portraiture (telephoto).
The use of the Inner Zoom system means the lens barrel has a plain, non-extending structure, resulting in a lightweight lens that zooms easily with no shift in weight distribution. XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR also uses a smooth power zoom mechanism to drive the zoom lens group linearly with a stepping motor. This results in high-quality zooming with minimal optical axis shift across all focal lengths, from wide-angle to telephoto.
The lens barrel is weather-sealed at 13 locations to ensure dust and weather resistance and to provide the ability to operate at temperatures down to 14 degrees Fahrenheit (-10 degrees Celsius).
FUJINON XF18-120mmF4 LM PZ WR is expected to be available in or around September 2022 at a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of $899 USD and $1,150 CAD.
FUJIFILM also introduced the FUJINON XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR telephoto zoom lens (XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR). The lens consists of 24 lens elements in 17 groups including three extra-low dispersion (ED) elements and four Super ED elements, to deliver an advanced level of image resolution edge to edge across the entire zoom range. Covering 35mm equivalent focal lengths of 229mm – 914mm, image-makers can extend the reach of XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR through either FUJIFILM XF1.4X TC WR or FUJIFILM XF2X TC WR teleconverters. The lens’s longest focal length extends to 1200mm (35mm equivalent of 1828mm), closing distances in an instant.
The fast autofocus system, driven by a linear motor, attains precise focus quickly and accurately, even in the super-telephoto range, where focusing can be difficult due to a shallow depth of field.
FUJIFILM XF150-600mmF5.6-8 R LM OIS WR is expected to be available in early July 2022 at a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of $1,999 USD and $2,550 CAD.