Samsung Electronics unveiled two smartphones this week: the Samsung Galaxy S20 series with a brand-new AI-powered camera architecture and the Galaxy Z Flip, a foldable smartphone. With 5G, a new decade of mobile innovation is beginning. Every device in the Galaxy S20 series—the Galaxy S20, Galaxy S20+ and Galaxy S20 Ultra—comes equipped with 5G technology. The Galaxy S20+ and Galaxy S20 Ultra are the first devices able to power new mobile experiences that take advantage of both sub-6 and mmWave. The Galaxy S20 supports sub-6. All three devices are capable of delivering non-standalone and standalone 5G capabilities
“As we enter this new decade, 5G will completely change how we communicate and how we experience the world around us,” said Dr. TM Roh, [resident and Head of Mobile Communications Business, Samsung Electronics. “As all three Galaxy S20 variants come with 5G connectivity, Samsung is providing a next-generation device for transforming people’s lives. With an incredible, AI-powered camera, you can capture the moments as they happen and connect more seamlessly with the people you love.”
Samsung outlined the following improvements to the Galaxy S20 camera:
- Big sensors: Galaxy S20 S20 and S20+ have a 64MP camera and the S20 Ultra has a 108MP camera. The S20 Ultra takes things a step further with the option to shift dynamically between a high-resolution 108MP mode and a 12MP mode, thanks to nona-binning technology which combines nine pixels into one at the sensor level, the company says.
- Zoom Capability: Galaxy S20’s “Space Zoom” technology uses a combination of Hybrid Optic Zoom and Super-Resolution Zoom. Use up to 30X zoom on the Galaxy S20 and S20+, or 100X on the S20 Ultra.
- Single shutter press, multiple pictures: Single Take lets you stay in the moment, while you capture the moment. Thanks to its AI camera technologies, the Galaxy S20 can capture a number of photos and videos, such as Live focus, cropped, Ultra Wide and more.
- 8K Video: The Galaxy S20 offers 8K video shooting, plus Super Steady anti-rolling stabilization and AI motion analysis.
Samsung Electronics also unveiled the Galaxy Z Flip, engineered with first-of-its-kind foldable glass, the company says. Galaxy Z Flip features a 6.7-inch display that folds into a compact form factor.
“At Samsung, we were encouraged by the excitement for the Galaxy Fold. Galaxy Z Flip is an important next step as we look to build the foldable category by bringing to consumers a new form factor, new display and most importantly, a new kind of mobile experience,” said Roh. “With Galaxy Z Flip’s unique foldable design and user experience, we’re redefining what a mobile device can be, and what it enables consumers to do.”
The Galaxy Z features:
- Style that Fits in Your Pocket – Designed for ultimate portability, Galaxy Z Flip folds into the size of a wallet. When opened, its screen size nearly doubles to reveal a stunning 6.7-inch display.
- Samsung’s First Foldable Glass Display – Galaxy Z Flip features an Infinity Flex Display with Samsung’s proprietary bendable Ultra Thin Glass (UTG), making it slimmer with a sleek, premium look and feel that has never been seen with a foldable device before, the company claims.
- New Hideaway Hinge – Galaxy Z Flip’s Hideaway Hinge is backed by a dual CAM mechanism – small but sophisticatedly designed to ensure every flip and fold is smooth and stable. Galaxy Z Flip can stay open at a range of angles, like a laptop screen. The Hideaway Hinge system also integrates Samsung’s new sweeper technology, which uses nylon fibers crafted by micro-height-cutting technology to repel dirt and dust.