Rumours and interesting items from around the internet
- Judge nixed settlement, $7.5 million attorney fees, in challenge to Xerox, Fujifilm tie-up, via Law.com
- Sony Corp. turned down a request by activist investor Daniel Loeb for a spinoff of the profitable Sony unit that supplies parts for iPhone cameras, saying that keeping the business in-house would preserve synergies, via MarketWatch
- Bee Influence won a four-way pitch to deliver Vistaprint’s UK influencer marketing campaign in the lead up to Christmas, via ProlificNorth
- Refinery29 did a review of “9 Photo Printing Websites That Will Set Your Favorite Snaps Free From Digital Limbo.” They only managed to misspell the name of one company.
App and software updates
- Skylum brings AI-powered portrait and skin enhancement tools to Luminar 4
- Fundy Software announced Bay Photo Sunrise Albums are now live in Fundy Direct. The Sunrise album is the first Fundy Direct album offering a photo wrap cover option.
- PhotoSync 4.0 for iOS adds 50 new features and is now free to test
- Zoner Photo Studio released its Autumn update, featuring improved color management, advanced export options, quick photo ratings, new collages, calendars, and more.
- The free ON1 Photo RAW 2020 public beta version is out: Try it here. It will install alongside previous ON1 apps on Mac or Windows.
- Sekonic Corp. announces a firmware update for SPECTROMASTER C-800-U
Tech developments to watch
- New Google Pixel 4 leak: motion blur, audio zoom, dynamic depth, Live HDR, via Digital Camera World
- Canon announces development photography solution for live events
- ORBI launches waterproof second-generation 360° recording eyewear on Kickstarter
- Adobe reported record 3Q revenue of $2.83 billion (24 percent year-over-year revenue growth) and net income was $793 million. Digital Media segment revenue was $1.96 billion, which represents 22 percent year-over-year growth. Creative revenue grew to $1.65 billion and Document Cloud achieved revenue of $307 million.
- Eastman Kodak adopts tax asset protection plan; Files Certificate of Amendment With Respect to Charter Amendment Designed to Protect Tax Assets
People on the Move
- Laurie Rubin was named North America Education and Project Manager at DxO
- OPPO appoints Ethan Xue as new president in the Middle East and Africa and Andy Shi is promoted to Senior Director of Global Product Marketing at OPPO Headquarters.
- UK photo card and gift company, Moonpig, appointed former William Hill and Hostelworld marketer Kristof Fahy as CMO, according to The Drum. Moonpig is a unit of Photobox.
- Jostens CEO Chuck Mooty stepped down from his leadership role and transitioned from day-to-day service to the role of chairman and strategic advisor. Michael Burgess was been appointed as the new CEO, via Owatanna.com.
- Staples names new head of Print and Promo Products; Lays off 175 from headquarters, via Printing Impressions